Our CPR/AED and First Aid combo course includes Adult, Child and Infant CPR and First Aid training. Our Healthcare Provider courses cater to all healthcare professionals. The combo certification is valid for 2 years and includes a free mailed in wallet card.
Chapter 11: Choking: Adult and Child
If an adult or child is choking, they may use the universal choking sign. This is when one holds the neck with one or both hands
- 1. If a person is choking, ask “Are you choking?” If the person nods or is unable to breathe or respond, tell the person that you are trained in CPR and that you are going to help.
- 2. Stand or kneel behind the person.
- 3. Make a fist with one hand and place it on the person’s abdomen just above the belly button.
- 4. Grab your fist with the other hand and give quick, upward abdominal thrusts.
- 5. Continue abdominal thrusts until the object is dislodged and the person can breathe or cough forcefully, OR person becomes unconscious.
- 6. For pregnant women or someone too large for you, give chest thrusts instead of abdominal thrusts.
- 7. If an adult or child becomes unconscious, follow the steps to perform adult / child CPR.